Friday 13 January 2012

The Missing, Book One: Found

Found 
Margaret Petterson Haddix.
Scholastic Books 
314 Pages


Almost every kid, at one point or another, has thought that they were adopted. Jonah knows it's true though. In fact he's known his whole life. He hadn't questioned it too much ever. For him it's alway been a fact. Like 2+2=4, or, the Earth revolves around the sun.
One day he receives a letter in the mail. It says "You are one of the missing." Naturally he's freaked out by this, and decides to tell his new friend Chip, who just moved in a few months before. It turns out that Chip got a letter too. It says the exact same thing. Then they both get a second letter. This one reads "Beware! They're coming back to get you."
Jonah, Chip and Jonah's little sister Katherine are thrown head first into the mystery of the "Missing", which involves an FBI investigation, a mysterious man who always seems to be around, and a plane that suddenly appeared out of no where, with no pilot, and no crew.


Although I love this book, and I love the concept, I found it a bit hard to follow at first. In the beginning, each clue that the kids found seemed unrelated, and disconnected. They brought up more questions than answers, for both me, and the characters. But as time went on all the different clues came together and wove the facts they compiled into the answer. That seemed so obvious once I knew it.
In a way though, I'm glad the book kept me guessing. Sometimes, if an author makes the main answer to a mystery obvious, I tend to get bored and feel tired.
All in all, I found it an amazing book, and whenever one of my friends is searching for a good book to read, this is always one of the first ones that I recommend.
I give this book 4 pilotless planes out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment